

# GAC Meeting (2024-02-02 11:32 GMT-5) - Transcript

## Attendees

+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95, Avery Schwenk, Bob Montgomery, Chris Kesler, Emma Arian, Hannah Goldman, Jack Droppa, jessica oski, Matt Wilson, Terry Thompson

## Overview:

**jessica oski:** Money, okay, and not enough good and taxes are high and school funding is problems. There's a report released yesterday at the treasurer's office saying we need six billion dollars in school construction to keep up with the Deferred maintenance at our schools. Certain that money's not available and there's not enough money in the budget, housing workers like these everybody wants to do so, there's a lot of students people.

- But that's nothing really on liquor the miscellaneous alcohol build the draft was just released this morning and it has what we thought would be in marriage with the three bills that I put in the report and discuss last week, but it has a couple of other things in there and I think you would support one more about anyway, so just to review It includes the provision that would.
- That would allow a first class license that also has a second class or a third class that also has a second class to not have their spaces be segregated. I did talk to dll and they're not going to support that and I'll tell you about that in a minute, but the bill also includes the expanding access to special then you permits that was removing the words bookstore in allowing any retail establishment to have a special venue serving permit and I talked to the dll about that one too and asked, sort of raise some of the concerns that we all talked about are these servers as if they're gonna be more servers that don't know what they're doing and he
- he thought that this would require a caterer it wouldn't be just a Worker serving alcohol that a special venue permit still would require a license server to serve the alcohol. He was going to check on that though. And then the third piece is the merger of entities. This is the Ed Cider and Shelburne Vineyard issue that's in there. But they also added a provision that would allow a sampling permit event holder and to remind you that's was the used to be called a festival permit.
- it's called a sampling event to purchase invoiced volumes of alcoholic beverages from wholesale dealers and I think that's one that Emma that you all have wanted. Is that right?

**Emma Arian:** Yeah, we just wanted the option to get it right from the manufacturer or from the hotel dealer wholesale dealer mostly just for out-of-state Brewers.

**jessica oski:** Yeah, so that's in there and then there's a provision. That would increase the limit on special event permits. That may be acquired by an individual licensee from 10 to 20 last year. They increased the number from 10 to 20 for fourth class licenses and we had advocated last year that it's a special event permit is good for four days and you could get 10 of them and we had asked them to change it because most special events aren't for four days. And we'd ask them to change it to just be 41 day.

- Events, and we didn't get that last year. But this year they're coming back and saying they'll increase the number of special event permits from 10 to 20 and they're still for four days. So that

should address some of the concerns. That some members had about not having enough special events for the same location.

- So those are two new Provisions that are added into the draft bill. Again, now they're going to start taking testimony and they're going to hear from the dll on all of these things and the date so the bill will to change as they hear from stakeholders. They may hear from the wine folks that they want to bring back the Concern that we had last year around tide house and I pulled up our testimony from last year and we had agreed to sort of a compromise on that one around that they could have one full core at an site location. Up send that out to to remind you of what we had.
- I don't know if they're gonna come back with it. so this process is going to unfold over the next few weeks. They're taking testimony on Wednesday and they wanted Matt and Emma. That Emma is available. I think it would be fine if it was just Emma, but if somebody else wanted to join Emma either remotely or in person Matt, sorry, go ahead.

**jessica oski:** Okay, So then what I will do is draft up some testimony and based on the conversations that were we've had and that we're going to have today and then you guys can comment on it or decide you want to use it. we only have 15 minutes and really the purpose of this and it might go a little longer but they're gonna put 15 minutes on the agenda. because at least we didn't have much to say about the three bills that we thought were going to be included in the miscellaneous alcohol build. This was really gonna be an opportunity for Matt and Emma to just

- introduce themselves to this committee remind everybody about who living up Brewers Association is I think economic impact, jobs that we create our role in rural community and we're all Economic Development and all that sort of Because this is a new committee as of last year and there's some members that didn't serve on alcohol committees in the past and have not been formally introduced to us. So it's a combination of here. We are. This is who we are and this is our feedback on this bill. We don't have enough time to go into all of our feedback. We can submit our testimony and writing we can do both. So that's kind of the update from here.

**Matt Wilson:** right especially around the Different license to separation of retail that you're saying they're opposed to that.

**jessica oski:** so if I'll tell you...

**Matt Wilson:** I've stated that I think that that's a really good thing for our membership. So it seems like we might be using that opportunity certainly to express our interests and supporting that I would think

**jessica oski:** what the dll said. The reason that they don't support it. It's so dll but he said that when there's a separate if you're out to dinner, I was thinking in my mind of Burlington Beer Company where they have retail sales and they have in a separate part and they have dinner if you're having dinner and you have a couple beers and you decide I think I'll get a four pack. You'd have to stand up and walk over to the retail section and in doing that you'd recognize. I've had a little too much to drink and so you might think twice about I don't know maybe when but if they just delivered it to your table, then you wouldn't have the opportunity to Realize that you've had too much to drink something like that. That's what he said. I was like, okay sounds like dll thinking.

**Matt Wilson:** That's ridiculous.

**Matt Wilson:** I was out there have really looked at that statute. I mean a lot of tasting rooms. I think somebody even referenced our tasting room as being somebody that does have a separate area. In fact, our tasting room is actually not following the letter of the law as written,...talking about it literally has to be divided space ours has a field that's separate but even that would be in violation. So I do think it's totally onerous and...

**Matt Wilson:** I mean do we need to go to the board to get their support on that or do we have the flexibility just sort of like into that role of supporting that one?

**Terry Thompson:** I'm here I support it.

**Emma Arian:** I think we should just send an email with Jessica's draft testimony. And be like this is...what we're going in. Make sure no one has any concerns. Sorry thing.

**Matt Wilson:** if somebody wants to make a motion to support it and then do a little vote on it in this committee? I guess I don't know how this typically works when it's an us-type Bill if we're saying we support the whole thing or we support just parts of it, but I think at this point we don't seem to be fighting any of those three issues that you spoke on. so it seems clear like we're not going to try and fight the bill overall and seem in support of most of it.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95:** Hey Matt, historically, the GAC takes votes when the VBA is planning to take a position. If we're not taking any position.

**Matt Wilson:** Yeah.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95:** But we have thoughts that we might communicate that's not generally something that necessarily Have to go to the board traditionally. I think that when it gets to the point where we think will Advocate or oppose something that's usually where we at least run it up the flag poor flagpole with the board.

**Matt Wilson:** right

**Avery Schwenk:** Yeah, in support of a pulse saying,...to this committee I don't think any authority to support a bill we can just make our conversation to the board and it's the board's responsibility to decide whether they want to support or not support.

**Matt Wilson:** So if I'm going to go talk to them next week, I guess the question would be are we saying anything specifically to counter what the dll said or we not in a position to be able to do that?

**Terry Thompson:** I mean not how I feel about The one bill. I think we should be supporting it and pushing it because I don't know if any of us are actually doing. the law to what it's written out as personally I know we aren't at the pigs though.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95:** I think that it would be worth in testimony just sort of heading off the dll in their position not necessarily directly...

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95:** how we would use it. in and sort of to prevent them from creating this kind of fear mongering Spirit by saying whatever they're gonna say,

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95:** which is probably some version of what they said to Jessica but, proactively saying in our testimony or might be after they speak I don't know but I'm saying just know that the way we see this being valuable in the way that we would implement it and sort of think of it being used.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95:** That's might be a good way to prevent Them from carrying the day by just scaring the committee members.

**Jack Droppa:** I would agree. I mean I Didn't really know that that was what we had to do and I certainly not doing it correctly. the letter of the law because I don't space for Really? I don't have the ability to separate my bar register. and have totally Can sales we sell at our bar register which I thought that was this other for back...

**Jack Droppa:** then to really that's kind of how it's done and I'm pretty sure when I got my licensees when I was to Martin from the dll He explained what we were doing. He was cool with it. because I said this where we're gonna fill Growlers and send Growlers off so site we weren't standing at the point at so I think you...

**jessica oski:** Good.

**Matt Wilson:** Yeah.

**Jack Droppa:** if it's worth, sending an email to

**Jack Droppa:** Board and saying, Trying to get their sign off on it. So that we can officially support at least that part of the bill. would be worth it because for

**Jack Droppa:** Spaces of median Terry they're small. Don't really have the ability to...

**Matt Wilson:** Okay.

**Jack Droppa:** to We're doing it wrong. And I guess I just at this point. nobody me on

**Matt Wilson:** That I totally agree with what you're saying I think it's an unnecessary burn being placed on it at our Tap Room. We actually built an entirely separate POS area. Or to concrete bill it was \$5,000 expense that we ended up just taking out...

**jessica oski:** Yeah. this was actually yeah,...

**Matt Wilson:** because we never used it. It was totally just a lost in that so it is...

**jessica oski:** I

**Matt Wilson:** if it feels owners, I guess it feels important to me. I guess just for process to make sure that is there anybody in this group that feels differently, obviously, there's a lot of support so make sure that nobody's concerned about us supporting this in any way because I think I'm agreeing with Paul whoever said I think we should email the board the try and get some sort of support thrown towards this but let me hear if anybody has any issues that we haven't heard from yet.

**00:15:00**

**jessica oski:** It's awesome.

**Avery Schwenk:** Jessica in the past things that the dll isn't supportive of usually just get put on The Cutting Room floor. Do you think that's a situation that's going to happen here whether he supported or not. Is it actually going to make a difference on? The committee's perception do you suppose?

**jessica oski:** Yes, I think it could I'm just trying to remember who the sponsors of this. Let me just see.

**Emma Arian:** Didn't we say was Craft beer cellar

**jessica oski:** It's a member of the committee. It's Lucy Boyden...who is the sponsor of it. She's on the committee. So she might have some sway and her committee might be willing to push back a little bit. I mean if they have a real Good argument. I thought their argument as you all did was a little spacious and stretching it. so it may not it, if they were coming in guns blazing then probably yes, but we think this is not a great idea and if I whisper in the ears of committee members and say

**jessica oski:** Have you been to a craft Brewery recently? Because that is working fine the way it is and they don't have these separate spaces. they may decide to move it. And I do yeah.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*\*95:** I have a question Jessica. does the bill specify or talk about selling beer to people who are at tables eating food, for...

**jessica oski:** No.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*\*95:** but what matters here is physical separation of space. I would ask the committee. does it matter to us that we're able to bring the beer to someone who's dining and...

**jessica oski:** Okay.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*\*95:** sell it to them as part of their? Meal tab because if it doesn't then we could just say hey,...

**jessica oski:** I just

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*\*95:** We're just looking to get rid of this physical separation rule. We don't care. Good.

**jessica oski:** it just removes that requirement that they be in. It allows them to be in the same contiguous.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*\*95:** Because we could compromise by saying to the dll look, if you're concerned about that. We don't need that we can write that into the bill as an amendment to just say there won't be, retail sales lumped into a meal sale. ticket. But that's just an idea that putting out there for the committee to discuss.

**Chris Kesler:** I'd rather not give up that ability.

**jessica oski:** Yeah. that's

**Chris Kesler:** Part of what we do is at black flannel is that we offer them, did you like the beer tonight? And would you like some to go and then, give them the ability to take it with them and even the server can take it to the table so they don't have to go grab it out of the merge cooler.

**jessica oski:** Okay.

**Matt Wilson:** Have you ever had somebody fall down after getting up? oops

**jessica oski:** he but

**Chris Kesler:** Yeah, the first year we were open, but it wasn't related to drinking.

**jessica oski:** the specific language in the bill says this subsection shall not be construed to prohibit the holder of the first and second class license from operating both licenses from within the same contiguous premise That's all it says.

**Matt Wilson:** I think a good counter to the dlls thing is just to say that they have done such a great job teaching us how to identify people who are intoxicated that won't be a situation that we find ourselves in because we would have cut that person off already. Thank you for putting us in that position to be successful. Am I right?

**Matt Wilson:** moot point fellas

**jessica oski:** so I do want to let you know also you remember at the annual meeting when dll raised this issue about.

**jessica oski:** Authorizing manufacturers of any alcoholic beverage to import bulk shipments of alcoholic beverage to rectify their own products. and they wanted to know if we Like that and the general feeling in the room was no we don't like that. We don't want that. We don't need that and he asked me about it again, and I'm like, I don't think that we understand why that would be necessary and generally it's not something that anybody at the DBA is looking for and I said, maybe it would be a better idea. If this is something that the DLo thinks that manufacturers want to over the summer and fall bring people together to talk about it so it's not in the draft now dll brought it but they decided to remove it because I don't think anybody came forward to support it.

00:20:00

**jessica oski:** that maybe something that they come back to us with over the summer if there are some manufacturers out there that want to bring I think it's actually happening now anyway, but

**Matt Wilson:** Yeah, I got the sense that everybody was quite confused around how and when anybody would employ that it didn't make a ton of sense? I think anybody so I think if they want to keep talking about it they can but yeah.

**Matt Wilson:** Yeah. Yeah agreed.

**jessica oski:** Yeah.

**jessica oski:** welcome you

**Matt Wilson:** Okay.

**Matt Wilson:**

**Matt Wilson:** Anybody I mentioned and...

**jessica oski:** So, I don't know love seeking...

**Matt Wilson:** we kind of really quickly moved on but does anybody want to say anything opposing that idea of the combined retail spaces...

**jessica oski:** because thanks.

**Matt Wilson:** because I do want to promote the idea of sending something to the board. I guess sort of Speak now or maybe Forever hold your piece on that.

**Matt Wilson:** Yeah, so maybe Jessica, but we can talk about...

**jessica oski:** unfortunately Yeah,...

**Matt Wilson:** what that looks like. Just to put us in a position.

**jessica oski:** I can.

**Matt Wilson:** If we do they do about this specific bills just saying that seems to be the one that we care the most about.

**jessica oski:** Okay, you put together and a little outline of Our Testimony and include that in it and I'll send it off to you guys tomorrow. And then you can circulate it to the committee and...

**Matt Wilson:** Great.

**jessica oski:** the board see if everyone's. Aligned with it and at a minimum if the board is not ready to do that. You could just give feedback on that section and come back in a week or so and say that you support it or don't support it.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95:** Jessica did you say that this new miscellaneous alcohol bill that just dropped at the same three bills as last that we discussed last week plus a couple more.

**jessica oski:** yes, It allows a sampling event permit holder, which is what we used to call a festival to purchase invoice volumes of alcoholic beverages from wholesale dealers. And it increases the limit on special event permits that may be acquired by an individual licensee from 10 to 20. up I must yeah.

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95:** Got it. So you were running through those I understand now cut it.

**Chris Kesler:** that

**Emma Arian:** Jessica in the festival permit one.

**jessica oski:** it's

**Emma Arian:** It's still So we can buy it from the manufacturer directly right? It's just an addition.

**jessica oski:** Really? Yeah, this is just that let's just adds wholesale dealers.

**Chris Kesler:** And the 10 to 20 event. What was that attached to?

**jessica oski:** That's for permits and right now you can get 10 special event permits in each one is good for four days. And last year we had asked them to change that to 40 special event permits a year because

most special events didn't last four days. And they didn't do that. And so this year they're coming back and saying we'll go 20 special events and so each. So now you're gonna be able to 20 and each is for four days.

**Chris Kesler:** Is that a specific bill that is being updated with?

**jessica oski:** I don't think it was I have to go back and look and I don't know that that was in a bill or that just was an idea that represented Byron probably wanted to add to this one.

**Avery Schwenk:** It feels like nobody at the dll or...on any of the Committees have any idea what special event permits are how they work as I feel like this is the fifth time. We've made minor change to them by the last 10 years. It's a little ridiculous, honestly.

**jessica oski:** Yeah. That was already here.

**Jack Droppa:** that To kind of be my question.

**jessica oski:** Probably, stop you.

**Jack Droppa:** Like what? said because I thought A few years ago the reason that they reduced these special event.

**jessica oski:** That's something I need to look at the tractor you.

00:25:00

**Jack Droppa:** That didn't have a meal program that I guess they've done away with that language now from being able to have full pores every week again. they Is the special event permit?

**jessica oski:** here's what they come together and that was

**Jack Droppa:** and now the way with that meal language or...

**Jack Droppa:** they Exactly. What's we Going back and...

**jessica oski:** I think...

**Jack Droppa:** forth and back back and forth on. what's the deal here?

**jessica oski:** I think what they did was when they got rid of the meal program. They made it easier for a manufacturer to get a first class license and what they were trying to avoid with having all these unlimited or lots of special events they were trying to avoid having a manufacturer basically operating without a first class license by having a lot of special events with full pores. So they Clamp down on special event permits and they opened up first class licenses for manufacturers to get a first class license without having a full meal program under this club designation.

**Matt Wilson:** Focus

**jessica oski:** And so hopefully now people that are playing special event limits. I don't know. I guess I am not exactly sure either who's pulling special event from let's see. I thought it was if you have a first class license and you are a manufacturer, but before you want to have good at movie night on the green and



your town. You have to get a special event permit, But you may already have a first class license. they didn't want you to have special event permits at your manufacturing location. Every night of the week or four nights a week. I think that was the problem that they were trying to address. Maybe that has been addressed, but you all know better.

**Matt Wilson:** So as far as this miscellaneous build does that mean that everything else did sort of fill on the wall from last session and...

**jessica oski:** but are you

**Matt Wilson:** that was included in that first write-up is all kind of off the table and we're only now speaking about what's currently in this bill.

**jessica oski:** Not necessarily. This is just what the committee has decided to put in the bill, but it stakeholders come in.

**Matt Wilson:** Okay.

**jessica oski:** They may make the case for adding new things we could decide that we could say we want you to add the happy hour Bill to this.

**jessica oski:** And other stakeholders who come in and say we want you to add other bills that are on the wall. So it's still open. This is just that these are the provisions that the majority of the communities decided that they were the Vice chair decide. They want to put into this bill. and then

**+1 802-\*\*\*-\*\*95:** so Jessica just from the process standpoint the sponsors of those bills from last year that aren't currently in the Omnibus. is it typical that they would now speak up if they wanted to see the building sponsored last year added that kind of part of the usual process that this Omnibus how that's warm in terms of build the Committees put into it. do people who sponsored bills in the past come forward and say hey not let's put this back in because I want to see this past.

**jessica oski:** There's not really a process. there's always Colleagues lobbying each other and somebody could really say I want my provision in the bill.

**jessica oski:** But yeah, anything is possible and then this goes the Senate and they could try and add things in Senate, too. There are no rules about that.

**Matt Wilson:** I guess what last week we had making sure that everybody is spoke their piece about any of those other bills. That's part of why I wanted to get that Clarity on just process.

**Matt Wilson:** We've really focused on these kind of three that we've been talking about today. sort of last chance maybe before we go in there. The advocate for anything. It's still on the wall either from last year this year.

Meeting ended after 00:38:47 🙌